Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Raavan and Roy


I've been flooding my head with the songs from Raavan and Raavanan (simultaneously sometimes). The song
Kata Kata (my favourite) in the Raavan sountrack brings vivid imagery to my mind, thanks to an article by Arundhati Roy on the Naxalites- "Walking with the Comrades". She describes a festival somewhere in the Dandakaranya forest with the tribals decked up in bright flowers, mahua abounding and dancing through the night in circles*. I think everything seems to have a strange sense of timing (I have been obsessing over alternative narratives off late, especially of the Ramayana and Mahabharata. That said, one more reason why I'm totally looking forward to Raavan/Raavanan). I read this article that Roy had written and have generally been confused about the role of the Naxalites, the movement itself and the Government.

*I did a quick google/wiki on the film, and I find that the song Kata Kata was shot in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh. Whattey guess.
-Pats self on back-

Strangely, the tamil version of this song- Kadaa kari- brings to my mind firstly the videos of Chandralekha, Veerapaandi Kottaiyile; the song 'Kombula Poova suthi' from Virumandi and forest scenes from old tamil movies, with a Napoleon (the actor, not Bonaparte) type character with an oversized meesai watching a dance by a bonfire in the forest. :P


Do read the article. Confusion inducing, but eye opening as well.
Not reading it would be, as Chimamanda Adichie calls it, 'The danger of the single story'.

1 comment:

  1. It was a really nice read about the Maosits. And yeah, after watching Zeitgeist and as you dig deep into such issues, this whole play between the Govt. and Maoists, just looks like another well orchestrated play. And couldn't open the TED talk, but if i am not wrong is it the African who talks about literature??? Think she studied in London etc. I've seen this one and it is moving. What an inspirational talk... :-) :-) :-) MUST WATCH PEOPLE!!!

    ReplyDelete